Publishers in the first year of their PA membership can take advantage of free training courses with the Publishing Training Centre's non-residential short courses. Depending on the size of your company, you can benefit from one to three days of training, representing a value of between £435 and £1,305.
Check your PA Membership Tier for eligibility
Bands 1a and 1b: one place on a one-day course.
Band 1c: two places on one-day courses, or one place on a two- day course.
Band 1d, 2 and above: three places on one-day courses, or one place on a two-day course and one place on a one-day course.
What courses are available?
PTC courses are organised around four themes:
- Core Publishing Skills
- Project Planning & Management
- Strategy and List Building
At present, the portfolio includes 24 eligible courses.
Full details are available on the PTC website. To apply for a course, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alternatively, members in any band can take advantage of three free e-learning modules instead of a non-residential short course. Complete the sign-up form to apply.
There are currently 14 e-learning modules available:
- A Commissioning Editor’s Guide to Working with Authors
- A Copy-Editor’s Guide to Working with Authors
- A Copy-Editor’s Guide to Working with Typesetters
- Adobe Tools for Editors
- Author Queries
- Copyright Essentials
- Editing Fiction
- Editing Illustrations
- Editing References
- Editorial Style
- Essential Editorial Project Management
- Introduction to Publishing
- What is Copy-Editing?
- What is Proofreading?
Terms and conditions
- The free non-residential short course(s) or e-learning modules must be taken during your first 12 months of membership.
- You can only choose either a non-residential short course(s) or e-learning modules. A mix of both is not permitted.
- The free non-residential short course place(s) cannot be booked through the PTC website. The request must be made by email to email@example.com
- The free e-learning modules cannot be booked through the PTC website. Please complete the “Sign up form for e-learning modules” (supplied with your joining pack) after registering a profile and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Places are subject to availability on the chosen course.
- A new member with a one-day entitlement can trade a free place on a one-day course for a 50% discount on a two-day course.
- A new member with a three-day entitlement can send up to three people on a single course, or a single person(s) on separate courses.